Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Tokyo 2017 Travel Mini


I've been terrible at blogging lately, but thought I'd pop in and share some of my favourite pages from one of my recent completed mini books. You can see a little flip through of this Japan album over here on Instagram.

Some quick notes about supplies:

  • Everything I used was stuff I already had on hand, meaning I didn't buy any supplies or products specifically for this book. 
  • The album and page protectors were purchased awhile back at Michaels and they're from Project Life/Becky Higgins.
  • The majority of the journaling cards I used are printable cards from my store, In a Creative Bubble. In particular, I used the Explorer collection (especially the prompt cards!), Jetsetter cardsIn the City cards, and the Ticket elements. I have a selection of Japan themed designs in my store as well, but I designed the most recent sets after making this mini and I used some the old ones for other projects and forgot to reprint the cards when making this book! Oops. 
  • The supplies and embellishments I used are things from my stash, and they're mostly from Studio Calico and Gossamer Blue.
  • My favourite travel stamp sets to use are from Everyday Explorers!
  • Washi tape + Japan themed stationery were all purchased in Japan. 

Now here are some of my favourite pages in this mini album :)


Starting the book off with a simple page documenting the reason for this trip as well as how we got there. I didn't have any photos to use so I added ephemera - my plane ticket (folded in half) and my metro ticket. The 'seeker of adventure' card is from this set but I customized it by adding a sticker of Mt Fuji in the middle.


The Traveler's Factory store in Tokyo Station has the coolest stamps of all the different Japanese prefectures! I stamped them on scrap paper in the store, then came home, scanned + resized them, and then reprinted them on kraft paper to create an insert for my album.



More photos + journaling + stamping. When I make travel minis, I like to keep things fairly simple and clean with just some thoughtful intentional embellishments. The green card is from this set and is originally a 4x6 card; I just cut it in half to fit the pocket.


I like including bits and pieces outside of the page protectors as well. Here, I hole punched and added a shipping tag between this spread. The front has some tiny banners and sticky notes, sewn straight through the middle. On the back, I glued a little piece of paper that listed our hotel info.


I loved playing with pops of yellow on this blue hued page. The Adventure Log card is from this set and I added a sticker and my journaling on it. On the striped yellow card, I added some ephemera (the green fabric sticker, from the one day tour we went on) and a few coordinating circle embellishments.


Full page photo ftw!


I decided to add this admission ticket in between my spread so I wouldn't have to cut it down. In one of the rooms at the museum, I was given a sheet of stickers to stick on the wall as part of the installation, and I stuck the extras on the back of the ticket :) Love how that turned out!




Another full size photo! :) I added one of my vintage inspired tickets and a few little embellishments to the 6x8 picture.


Explorer cards + 'around the neighborhood' photos + little details. I layered a little tanuki sticker on an Explorer circle tag, then handstitched that on a map card from this set.


The 'today's adventure' is a digital stamp from this set :)


At the end of my album, I included a kraft paper bag and any extra bits of ephemera I wanted to keep. On the back of the bag, I used a few strips of Japan themed washi tape.


And that's a wrap! I still have a ton of travel minis I want to make but I'm happy to have completed at least one off the list. Thanks for looking!

8 comments:

  1. I love your travel books! They are so inspiring. Maybe you could help me with a question I have? I recently spent 2 1/2 weeks in Scotland, London & Paris. I so much want to do a travel album. But I'm unsure of the size. I love your 6x8 books, but I'm worried they will be too small - between me and my parents we have 1000's of photos. I know I obviously can't include everything, but I want to make sure I have enough room for plenty of photos, plus ephemera. I was thinking maybe 9x12 instead? Have you ever worked with this size? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, 9x12 is a good idea! I used that size myself to document a two week trip to Europe back in 2014. You can see some of my 9x12 travel pages over here: http://inacreativebubble.blogspot.ca/search/label/2014%20europe%20travel%20album

      Delete
  2. OMG Geralyn - all the stuff you do looks so amazing!!! If I look at your posts I immediately want to travel somewhere, just to make such an awesome travel mini...

    I really love your style! <3

    Do you print the photos at home? They look really colourful and sharp!

    Greetings from Vienna!
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claudia, thank you! I do a mix - I print photos both at home and at my local Costco. The photos in this mini album were printed at Costco :)

      Delete
  3. I always love your travel pics/layouts and albums!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you share what you use to include things like your admission ticket? Is that a punch that made that little blue tab?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a metal "attacher die" that I got from Studio Calico a long time ago. Hope this helps!

      Delete